Having healthy, bouncy, glossy and plentiful hair on your head is quite desirable and makes you look good. Hair typically grows all over your body, and can become more visible after puberty. It is often believed that men tend to have thicker and more visible body hair than women. Hair in the wrong places can however, evoke disgust and revulsion. Too much hair on legs, underarms or pubic areas can be denounced as ‘wild’ or ‘unkempt’. This becomes a cause of shame and stigma as hairy women in particular, are believed to be lazy, eccentric, dirty, ugly or even masculine!
Why is excessive hair so undesirable?
Getting rid of body hair has more to do with the cultural obsession of appearing clean and well groomed. Most people associate excessive body hair with animalism and try to get rid of it in every way. The society has grown to believe that only tan, in-shape and bare skin is attractive. It is often equated with attractiveness to an absurd degree. Body hair can be quite embarrassing, and may even lead to social acceptance problems. The problem becomes particularly worse during and after puberty, when thicker and more visible hair starts growing all over your body.
Hair removal is mostly practiced for cultural, medical, sexual and even certain religious reasons. The hair growing on your body is of two types- ‘vellus’ and ‘terminal’ hair.
While the ‘vellus’ is a finer, shorter and softer version of hair, the latter is longer, coarser and darker. It is the terminal hair that becomes a cause of worry for most people. It is particularly, very disturbing when you have the dark, coarse and long terminal hair growing at the wrong places, giving you an unkempt look. Most people undergo various hair removal methods to get rid of unwanted body hair. The correct hair removal methods, when applied, can help augment your confidence and make you feel better about yourself. Some of the most popular hair removal methods are:
- Shaving: Shaving is probably the most popular method of removing hair, and one of the most effective. It is a good alternative to remove hair from your legs, arms and face as well. Improper shaving can lead to cuts and bruises. If you use a shaving gel of inferior quality, you may develop ingrown hair growth. You can avoid the problem of ingrown hair by exfoliating before you shave, so that dead cells get eliminated and ingrown hair growth can be avoided.
- Waxing: Waxing is a chemical-free method for removing hair, and usually does not cause allergic reactions. Waxing can, however, be quite painful and the pain experienced during waxing depends on your hair growth and skin type. Waxing is often time-consuming and you must make it a point to properly moisturize your skin after waxing. It can, however, be quite painful and messy. It can also burn your skin, if you use hot wax.
- Threading: Threading is a good way to pull out unwanted hair by twisting the string in different directions. It can, however, not be performed in large areas of skin, as it may be painful and impractical. Certain salons offer this service for getting rid of unwanted hair.
- Laser hair removal: Laser hair removal is a good way to get rid of unwanted hair and its effects are also quite long-lasting. The treatment can however, be quite painful and expensive. It can be used on any part of your body. It is imperative to choose a highly skilled and trained technician or doctor to perform this treatment. This method makes use of a laser beam or light pulse to destroy the hair bulb and get rid of unwanted hair from your body.
- Electrolysis: Electrolysis is a professional hair removal method that can be used on all parts of your body. In this method, a professional places a tiny needle with an electric current in the hair follicle. There are further two ways to remove hair using electrolysis:
- Galvanic- This hair removal method destroys the hair follicle chemically.
- Thermolytic- In this method, heat is used to destroy the follicle while performing electrolysis.
Electrolysis may go wrong if you do not choose a trained and knowledgeable professional for performing it. Most hair removal methods are painful, time-consuming, expensive or even risky. Dermology hair removal cream is an effective, safe and inexpensive alternative to laser treatments and electrolysis. You can easily use this cream on any part of your body. You would no longer need to deal with razor burns, red bumps or hairy skin surfaces once you start using this wonder cream. Unlike other hair removal creams, Dermology Hair Removal Cream can be used on the most sensitive parts of your body as well. Cream is a quicker, safer, painless and inexpensive way of getting rid of your body hair.